Jump to Navigation

Relevant information for custodial parents in Washington

Washington residents would agree that divorce comes very hard on children. While couples look forward to a new post-divorce life, children often feel insecure about their future. They often wonder as to which parent will pay their daily or medical expenses. In keeping the best interest of the child in mind, U.S. courts, including those in Washington, usually give physical custody of the child to one parent and order the other parent to pay child support. It is mandatory to pay child support, and falling behind can lead to serious penalties.

A custodial parent can get information about child support payments online. The custodial parent can also choose to get email notification when a payment is posted. The parent may also call 1-800-442-KIDS, so long as the parent is willing and able to provide his or her case number and social security number. The parent can get information about how much child support has been received by the Department of Child Support well as the balance on the account.

When a parent relocates to another state, the individual is supposed to close the case in the state that he or she is leaving. It is best to obtain a letter stating that the benefits have come to an end. After relocation, the parent may again apply for services online. For a custodial parent receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, the child support will be collected by the DCS. If the amount collected is above the TANF amount received, the assistance stops.

Between 2008 and 2011, the state and the federal government allowed the DSC to collect child support when the custodial parent received the cash assistance. For parents who wish to modify the child support order, DCS has developed a brochure that gives relevant information.

Source: DSHS.WA.gov, "Frequently Asked Questions," Accessed on Feb.24, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
tell us about your case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Subscribe to This Blog's Feed